About Me

I am a mom, but I am also a certified deaf education teacher with a passion for helping parents. When my daughter was born, I was determined to do all of the things that I tell my parents of deaf children to do with their babies to improve language. I was AMAZED! By the age of 6 months, my daughter would tell me what she wanted using sign language and had a language base. Now, at the age of 4, she is reading and writing. Why? I put into practice the research based models that I had been teaching my parents to do.


Research shows that babies who sign before they speak (hearing babies) have higher IQ levels, higher standardized test scores and are more well adjusted. So, this is a blog to put my principles into action. One tip per day to teach your child.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 2

Fun Fact for the Day: Each day, your baby will develop more language abilities. As you already know, babies will start their verbal communication with cooing. This is their way of getting an auditory feedback for verbal speech. As they "coo,"their brain is beginning to process the tactile and auditory stimuli that comes with spoken language. They are beginning to notice your response to them as well. Up until now, they had a "feeling" from you. They felt warm, safe, etc. Now they are starting to react to your responses and vocal communication. During this time, it is very important to exaggerate your intonation (rhythm of your voice) and pitch (frequency of your voice or how loud or soft). This is teaching your baby the very basics of language development.

Tip for the Day: Begin to sing songs to your baby. Create a song for every activity. Not just ones that you already know, but be creative. For example, I would always sing a bath song to the tune of "She'll Be Comin' Around the Mountain When She Comes." Every time I sang it would be different words, but something to the affect of,
she'll be super clean by bedtime when she's done
she'll be super clean by bedtime when she's done
we will wash that nose and tummy
scrub those toes and bummy
she'll be super clean by bedtime when she's done
It doesn't have to make sense or even rhyme. You are teaching your child how to have a conversation and how to use her voice in a variety of ways. Make up songs about EVERY activity. Be Creative!

Sign for the Day: "More"
Handshape: Both hands use a semi-flattened "o"
Location: Normal signing space in front of the body
Orientation: palms facing each other
Movement: Inward. Bring both "flattened-O" hands together.
I begin introducing this sign with food or a bottle. Eventually, generalize to toys, patty cake games, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment